Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Mix

Posted by MsMorningSong 10A (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 7:17

Could a successful rhodie gardener post their home made soil mix for me? I have tried for a couple of years now to grow blueberries, and nothings happening. We just pulled them up, and the roots have barely grown. Now I have them in large containers. One is starting to put out a few pitiful leaves, but the other, nothing.
Please help! I know these plants share the same love of acidic conditions. Any tips you use on your azaleas and rhodies is also greatly appreciated.
Thanks fellow gardeners :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Mix

Are there really blueberries that can grow in Z10A?

All ericaceous (acid soil adapted plants) need a lot of acid organic matter for planting - 25 to 50% although native wild blueberries are comonly found on intensely acid sandy soil. What you use is really dependent on what's locally available. Partially decomposed conifer bark bark or needles is what I use. Anything that provides water holding ability, lots of air space and a pH below 6.0 is fine. Avoid the peat moss dust sold in bales.

Make sure an inch or two of the roots are exposed when planting and that the existing root mass is well watered.

o
RE: Soil Mix

First, lack of acidity should not cause a quick death. It should lead to a slow decline which the first symptom is yellowing leaves.

Second, lack of drainage is the biggest killer. It is fast acting. The entire plant wilts and dies.

Third, the biggest mistake in planting is not opening up the root mass. If the root mass is not opened up, after the plant dies the root mass still looks like it did when you planted them.

If the pH is only marginally off, it can be lowered with powdered sulfur.

If the drainage is poor a raised bed is needed. To test the drainage, dig a hole about twice as deep as a planting hole, fill it with water, let it completely drain, then fill again and wait. It should drop at 1" per hour or faster. If not you need to use a raised bed or mounded plantings.

For a good reference on planting look at the page on Rarefind Gardens website:

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Plant (Rarefind Nursery)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here