Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Rhododendrons I Just Purchased

Posted by lindama MA z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 7:55

The other day I purchased 2 PJM Rhododendrons and a large leaf white Rhododendron at Home Depot, the white one if pretty big, the two PJM's are a little smaller but still a decent size. Anyway, I was told that I could keep them outside until I was ready to plant them because they were raised outside and are hardy to my area, zone 5 in Massachusetts.

When I was leaving for work this morning, I noticed that the leaves on the two PJMs were all curled up to the point of making it look more like a pine tree than a rhody, is this a problem, could the cold from the night air be killing them? They're left outside at Home Depot, they were out in the garden area. Is this something that rhody's do at night, will they open up once the sun hits them? I could bring them in and put them in my basement.

I watered them just in case that may have been the problem, they seemed a little dry.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Rhododendrons I Just Purchased

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 11:06

The curling/rolling of the leaves is a normal response to freezing temperatures. This response to temperature changes is a rhododendron's method of preventing loss of moisture through the leaves.

Keep them watered, and put the containers someplace where morning sun (if it's clear and cold) won't burn them by shining on them while still curled and frozen, and they are protected from freezing winds.

o

Many retail plants are planted in a medium that needs watering every day so that non-gardening store employees can take care of them without overwatering. I would never water them without checking by picking up the pot to see how wet it is by how heavy it is. Anyway, you will need to water often, depending upon the weather. Keep them in partial shade, and as morz8 says, avoid morning sun.

Normally they won't have leaf curl until the temperature get down below freezing. If the leaves are curled when the temperatures are above freezing, they are probably too dry.

o

Ditto what has been said about them folding under conditions of drought or severe cold. If this is the case, they will revert to normal once conditions improve. You should be getting them into the ground soon, no?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here