Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodswalker88

Encore Azaleas

woodswalker88
12 years ago

I just built a patio & there is a lot of bare earth around it that needs to be covered. So I bought these "Encore" Azaleas from the local Lowe's. Generally Azaleas like shade, but the label says it can be planted in "full sun to light shade". (last year I planted a maple tree nearby, so I expect some shade in 5 years. :) I got them all planted & then I noticed in small print on the label: "zone 7 - 10". Uh-oh, I'm in Southeast PA, that's Zone 6!!

I'm a new gardener, just moved here last year. I guess I made a lot of mistakes... I guess this is one of them? How can I protect a plant that is in the wrong zone?

PS, I would also like to plant some rhododendron. The patio is next to the eastern side of the house. In the summer, it gets sun until about 2 pm. The yard itself was just lawn when we arrived, but with a line of dogwood trees & one large oak at the far end. That gives us "partial shade" in the later summer afternoons. There are several rhododendrons right next to the house, so I am thinking if I planted another one a little farther out, it might survive.

All of this is guesswork... I am choosing what to plant by observing what is already growing on this property & assuming if one is there, another one will survive. :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored