Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laylaa_gw

Encores again. How do they bloom?

laylaa
14 years ago

I moved into a house with sever very badly declined azaleas I assumed were Encores due to the single bloom they each got in fall. They were in full hot sun, dry packed clay on a rock bed with litter up to their necks. They were so hideous people asked me what type of plant they were, and GA has more azaleas per capita than any state in the nation I believe.

Last year I moved them when I really should have tossed them. Being the human tree spade, I moved these huge things to a better location in a dappled shade wooded area, lots of organic material. Had to prune a great deal off them.

Well they bloomed. My lord did they bloom. Like the prom queen and her full court in my woods - you couldn't see the shrub at all or ground for the bloom cover. And they have grown like kudzu.

Now they all have a second set of blooms which look like they should be open in about a week or less - a full set covering the plants, not a light sparse blooming. Is this normal? I expected a lighter maybe mid-summer then fall flowers, but two full sets in spring? I checked the Encore site and it didn't say two sets, search here wasn't fruitful. What's the spring deal on these guys please? I'm not good with azaleas. I grow trees mostly.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Pioneers Kitchen and Bath LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Loudoun County's Professional Kitchen & Bath Remodelers