Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caminnc1

Encore Azaleas ?

caminnc
15 years ago

I love Encore Azaleas but they are very pricey. Does anyone know if I were to root clippings from Encore Azaleas would they stay encores or revert back to an earlier azalea which only blooms once a year?

Comments (10)

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

Aren't the Encore azaleas patented? If so, I believe American patent laws prohibit the asexual propagation of these azaleas. Encore azaleas are routinely available at Home Depot and Lowe's at reasonable prices.

• caminnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohhh, thumping on head, what was I thinking, give credit where credit is due! I have seen the price from 12-32 dollars each for Encore. I am use to paying 5 tops for any azaleas other than encore. I love Encore so I guess I will pay the price althought I think the range is a bit much. My grandmother tought me how to root azaleas in 1955, who knew?

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

One nice thing about the gallon-sized Encore azaleas that I've found at Lowe's and Home Depot is that the containers will frequently have two or three plants in them. The plants can be separated, and that cuts down on the overall price.

• bluespiritartist
    15 years ago

Are these Encore azaleas rebloomers? I just read about one blooming more than once a year...never heard of that! What colors come with Encore? So much for me to learn!!!

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

yes, encores bloom in spring and fall but they won't be hardy for you in zone 5. do a web search for "encore azaleas" and you will find their homepage. many selections are available now.

• caminnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, they bloom 3 times a year. spring, June and fall. They can also withstand a little more sun than other azaleas. They are wonderful and come in many colors.

• suel41452
    15 years ago

bluespiritartist - I live in zone 6b/7a, and they only bloom well in spring for me, and just a little bit once later near fall. After a harsh winter, some of mine have died off quite a bit here, so I wouldn't try any but the hardiest variety if you feel adventurous. Some are advertised as much more hardy than others, but I doubt they would work in zone 5 or have any rebloom. Sorry!!!

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

Encore azaleas are all bred to be rebloomers. The first bloom on old wood and then bloom on new wood. There is usually a gap between the 2 series of blooms. If you buy a patented plant and it divides by self layering or whatever you don't have to kill one of the plants. But you can't sell it without paying the license fee. They are not grafted, so they will come true if they divide vegetatively.

• mori1
    14 years ago

I'm glad I found this, I was planning on getting one but after reading this and what else was posted on the web, I'm thinking no. I thought I had read somewhere they producing more cold hardy one. So I got excited when I saw it at Lowes but the best they could do was zone 6.

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

The Portland Chapter of the ARS has an Encore test garden just inside the fence at Crystal Springs Garden/Park in Portland, Oregon, across from Reed College. Portland is a mild climate. Some of the encores do well, some do poorly. They haven't completed the evaluation yet. It will be interesting to see what they find. I will try to get the results and post them when they are ready.

Sponsored