Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea trouble (pics)

Posted by black-thumb (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 8:53

I got these azalea's from home depot about three weeks ago. They have just about all died. I keep them in indirect light in my kitchen window. Any ideas why they died? They just seem to be drying up. I watered them well when I got them since the soil was dry. How often should they be watered? Can they be saved at all?

Thanks

Looks like new growth underneath.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Above pics

I don't usually keep the blinds open for them to get the sun you see in those pics. I direct the blinds up so the light is indirect and not right on the plants.

o
RE: Azalea trouble (pics)

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 13:42

These are florist type azaleas which are bred for ease in forcing flowers to coincide with a particular date or event - in this case Easter. Often treated as a long lived bouquet...they rarely do well for most of us in normal household low humidity and conditions. You really can't match that careful greenhouse environment unless you are very gifted at houseplants :)

I don't know what zone you are in - in milder climates (8, 9 possibly 7), they can be hardened off, or acclimated gradually to outdoor conditions, and planted outside. In harsher climates, you could try growing them in containers in a sheltered place outside and bringing them back indoors to a cool room in Fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florists Azaleas

o
RE: Azalea trouble (pics)

Morz8

Thanks for that link! I will check it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here