Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I transplant my rhodie April Rose now?

Posted by hammonds_ns 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 9:12

Hi, I have two April Roses that were purchased last year and initially planted at the back of the house in a wooded area while we established beds in the front of the home, etc. (new construction home). They have done well and survived their first winter and now I would like to move them to the front of the house in a bed with others. It has started budding and so I am wondering if now is a good time to transplant now that it has started budding and I assume working on flowering, or should I wait?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I transplant my rhodie April Rose now?

I would wait for a selfish reason (I would like to see the flowers) and for a practical reason (I would like to double make sure that the danger of late frosts has passed). Even though our avge last frost date is in March-ish, we recently got a scare when temps were forecast to reach freezing a week ago.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 13:01

They can be moved now. The only thing that might affect the plants is a different exposure. Coming from the woods to a bright spot in the front yard may burn the leaves a bit. Being near Halifax though, you don't have the strong sun Luis experiences in Fort Worth, Texas. Moving them will not affect the flowers, nor will a freeze unless they are open.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 14:01

You can safely move them any time they are not in active growth or the ground is not frozen. The period of active growth is immediately after bloom when the leaf buds are opening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here