Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No blooms on 4 year old Azalea

Posted by tifbee 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 9:12

Hello,

This is my first time posting a message on this board but I wasn't finding much information through the internet.

My friend has a seemingly healthy 4 year old azalea that has never bloomed for her. The leaves are nice and green, she doesn't prune the bush until fall, and she even talks to it...but it has never even budded. The bush was planted in a partial sun/shade part of her yard.

I asked if she knew for certain it was an azalea and she said she still has the tag when she bought it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No blooms on 4 year old Azalea

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 9:37

Pruning branch ends in fall would remove flower buds, which are set on the tips during the growing season, to overwinter and then open the following year.

o

bboy is absolutely correct. Only prune immediately after they finish blooming. Pruning later removes the following seasons flower buds. The same is true with forsythia and most other spring blooming plants.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 11:12

tifbee, I'm wondering why your friend is pruning every year. Not only is Fall the wrong time as pointed out above, but most azaleas require little pruning - other than to remove winter damaged wood or trimming occasionally to keep the plant a pleasing shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here