Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on planting location of Rhododendron

Posted by lovemyflower_garden Maryland (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 9:21

I purchased last night a Catawbiense Grandiflora Rhododendron. I had never seen/noticed a rhodie before(this is our first owned home/my first year at gardening), but saw these in Costco and although it has no flowers yet I thought it was just a beautiful plant. I am really fond of the evergreen flowering plants. The leaves resemble those of my magnolia tree, which I just love.

My question about location is: how much shade will this plant tolerate and thrive in. The place I have in mind is on the north-west corner of our house where, when it gets a little bigger, it will conceal the air conditioner and trash cans from view, which reside on the west side of our house. So it would get very little if any morning sun.

It will also get very little evening sun because there is a tree line alon the west side about 15 feet from our house, a couple of the trees directly west being evergreens (pine and magnolia).

So, does my new favorite plant have any chance of thriving here?

Also, the little card that came on the plant says average height/width is 7' by 7'. Can I really expect it to get that big--it would be great if it did!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on planting location of Rhododendron

This is a very tough plant, but rhododendrons have special requirements that you should be aware of:

It needs a moist well-drained soil. Do not let the roots sit in wet conditions and do water it if the leaves stay wilted after the heat of the day is past. Do not plant in clay soil. If you have clay soil, use a raised bed. Make sure your soil is acidic. I like to use a 50:50 mix of composted peat with the natural soil.

It needs some sun to bloom but likes partial shade and some wind protection, especially the first couple years. If it gets afternoon sun, it will be OK.

After 10 years it will be pushing 7' tall. You can lightly prune branches that seem to be out of place a little to make it bush out and keep a good shape. Only prune after it blooms and before mid summer to avoid loosing flower buds.

Don't be tempted to fertilize. You can apply a small amount of a good fertilizer like HollyTone every couple years, but in general, they don't need much fertilizer unless you want to sacrifice flowers for size.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Rhododendrons

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here