Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemyflower_garden

Need advice on planting location of Rhododendron

I purchased last night a Catawbiense Grandiflora Rhododendron. I had never seen/noticed a rhodie before(this is our first owned home/my first year at gardening), but saw these in Costco and although it has no flowers yet I thought it was just a beautiful plant. I am really fond of the evergreen flowering plants. The leaves resemble those of my magnolia tree, which I just love.

My question about location is: how much shade will this plant tolerate and thrive in. The place I have in mind is on the north-west corner of our house where, when it gets a little bigger, it will conceal the air conditioner and trash cans from view, which reside on the west side of our house. So it would get very little if any morning sun.

It will also get very little evening sun because there is a tree line alon the west side about 15 feet from our house, a couple of the trees directly west being evergreens (pine and magnolia).

So, does my new favorite plant have any chance of thriving here?

Also, the little card that came on the plant says average height/width is 7' by 7'. Can I really expect it to get that big--it would be great if it did!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting