Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant Small Rhododendrons or Buy New Ones?

Posted by eliza0214 Long Island 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 9:52

I have a bare area where there used to be rhododendrons and/or azaleas, but they had to be removed to get at some pipes underground. (Not sure what happened to the plants that were removed; I wasn't here and a non-gardening relative was supervising!)

I'd like to move some existing rhododendrons to the bare spot. We have no shortage of rhododendrons -- we have about 3 acres of rhododendron-azalea-mountain laurel woods. There are some very small shrubs, ones that have grown up probably around the roots of older, long-gone plants.

My landscaper wants to just go buy new ones. I usually prefer to use what I have and recycle in general. Obviously it'd be more work to transplant, but would it be at all worth it? How can I sell this to my landscaper (he usually gets argumentative, but my problems with him are a different story)?. It just seems stupid to me to go buy rhododendrons when we have so many that are already adapted to our soil and micro-climate, and are happy growing under giant oaks.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant Small Rhododendrons or Buy New Ones?

I've transplanted many, many rhododendrons. They have shallow root systems and are easy to dig up. as long as you can keep them moist the first summer they should do just fine.

I've moved some that are 4' tall by myself (I'm a small female with fibromyalgia, not strong)

I would not go buy new unless there is something you want that you don't already have....

o

The only advantage in buying new plants would be that you would then be assured of getting named varieties of known color and habit. If that's not important, by all means transplant the existing ones - who knows you may discover a unique and worthwhile hybrid.

o

When transplanting, if you can't get all the roots, you need to root prune in advance to cut off the long roots and develop a denser root mass. To root prune, just cut down with a spade around where you plant to dig. Then, wait several weeks or more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here