Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplant mature azaleas in full bloom?

Posted by flipnut SC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 10:05

Can anyone offer advise on transplanting mature azaleas in full bloom or just after full bloom. There are a lot of great azaleas near my house where they are about to start building a new road. The bulldozers will start any day now so I need to get the plants out as soon as possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplant mature azaleas in full bloom?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 11:16

In bloom would be better than right after bloom if you are racing bulldozers...but then in that case, any opportunity you have would be better than none since the plants will be lost if left in place :)

Moving them during their period of active growth is generally thought to be least successful timing (notice I didn't say no success at all). The period of active growth is while the new foliage buds are elongating and unfurling, immediately after bloom.

o
RE: transplant mature azaleas in full bloom? PS

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 11:22

I answered you on the timing, when maybe you were asking about the procedure...

They will have a network of fine surface roots that extends out as least as far as the widest branches, and a few heavier anchoring roots. A shallow, wide rootball. You can take a smaller diameter rootball - aim for diameter equal to approx 2/3s the plants height if possible. Careful not to plant any deeper than they were originally growing, mulch over the rootzone to conserve moisture and cool the soil. They will need extra attention to adequate water this first full year.

o
RE: transplant mature azaleas in full bloom?

In extremis, I've had to transplant azaleas and rhodies while in full bloom. I used a product called "Bio-Plex" or "BioPlex" which advertised that its use can make transplanting more successful even in the height of summer. I can't say for sure that the BioPlex made a difference, since I didn't move any plants which were not treated with it, but I can say that all of the plants survived the transplant (though not all survived my subsequent neglect and my woodland fauna).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here