Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
order of bloom messed up in the Mid-Atlantic?

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 10:15

Is anybody else noticing an almost complete change in their normal bloom sequence? For example, Capistrano is usually early for me, it's not even showing any bud color yet, and other elepidotes that were usually behind it are ahead of it this year. Seems like this year what matters more is the plant's situation...those with more sun are leaping ahead. Maybe spring has been so cool and cloudy the only way the plant could warm up was if it was in a sunny location, especially a sunny afternoon location, and this was enough to override the usual genetically determined sequence?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: order of bloom messed up in the Mid-Atlantic?

Which coast are you on?

o

Rhody, not sure if I'm supposed to take that as sarcasm? The Mid-Atlantic is on the East Coast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_states
(OT historical note, it's interesting that as far back as 1883 there was a map defining "middle Atlantic" in the contemporary way that we do, including Virginia. I sometimes meet people who insist the term only applies to states north of the Mason Dixon line. Although I would not dispute MD & VA being "southern" states...along the strict nothern/southern dichotomy, they have and always have had a cultural distinctiveness from the rest of the south. As for Maryland, could any other southern state have been forced to join the Union? The reasons were greater than the physical proximity to a federal city. And look at what happened to Virginia: home of the capital of the confederacy, yet split into two by the War!)

Anyhow, I think it does have to do with the cloudiness of this spring time. Most of my plants are in morning sun, but there hasn't been any sun in the mornings! The plants that are blooming "out of order" are ones that get late afternoon sun, when the sun has been out.

o

Sorry, I missed the big letters. I apologize for asking the obvious.

I am in SE PA and we have seen same thing. Different plants have different triggers such as length of day and periods of warm temperatures, as well of anti-triggers such as periods of drought and cloudy weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here