Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseyp8255

suggestions? Pruning, etc.

roseyp8255
18 years ago

Hi ya'll,

I have LOTS of HUGE azaleas out in front of my house, planted by the previous owners. I have been here 8 years -and i would guess that the azaleas were planted 10 years or so before then. Literally, some of them are 5 feet tall, and a couple are 5 feet wide. There are about 25 or more of them out there - haven't actually counted, but it is a safe estimate...

They are GORGEOUS - right now to be exact - a lot of the time mine bloom "behind" everyone else (b/c of all the pines out there I guess).

Other than some fertilizing and breaking off dead spots within the plants, i haven't done anything to them yet.

I know i need to prune them soon as they stop blooming - but what i don't know is:

1.how far back do i prune?

2. Do they "need" a thorough hard prune periodically, or just as needed to shape them up?

3. I keep losing pieces of some of them - the limbs just die - is that normal?

4. The dirt around them is REALLY hard, do i need to add some amendments or anything, loosen the soil, etc.? Could this be the reason that some of the limbs are dying?

Okay i guess that is all for now! Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of some of my azaleas

Comments (4)

• rain1950
    18 years ago

You should prune to achieve whatever shape you want; you can remove up to half of the branches and not harm the plant. Do you want an open plant or bushy? Normal pruning is tip-pruning to create a dense bushy growth.

Dead limbs are not normal and your soil is the reason. 90% of the roots are in the first few inches of soil. you need to add a layer of peatmoss and mulch to keep moisture in those first few inches.

• roseyp8255
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Rain! There is lots of pine straw - i will get some peat moss and mulch - maybe some compost...

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

Skip the peat, it's not to be used as mulch. Peat will shed water when it dries out and it isn't going to do anything to soften your compacted soil.

Buy the compost, if you have Home Depot nearby, ours has well composted steer manure (odor free) for just $1 per bag...I buy it 20 bags at a time. Mulch with it now, reapply as needed...it will do a lot towards conditioning that compacted soil; get those worms working aerating that hard ground. (note too, mushroom compost is the wrong PH and not compatible with rhododendron and azaleas)

These shrubs are at their best in a highly organic, loose, well-drained but moist soil. In the wild, they have a constant supply of dead organic matter falling around them (leaves, twigs, etc). Besides conditioning and feeding the soil, this material is also releasing organic acids as it decomposes (acid being their best PH). Anytime the accumulation is greater than the decomposition, an acid condition follows - thus the 'reapply as needed'. You'll cut down on your water bill too...

The dead branches may be in response to lack of water and the compacted ground if you don't see any evidence of boring insects, or other disease. Please don't break them, a clean cut is always preferable to a jagged break which may allow foothold of secondary insect or disease problems.

Pruning isn't required, you may shape as needed. They will even respond well to hard pruning if that is ever necessary to completely restore them....Azaleas have dormant growth buds all along their stems and will sprout from just below any cut you make.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    18 years ago

Your light pink azalea with the dark blotch is George Lindley Tabor--my favorite of Southern Indicas.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH