Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for gardening in SC

Posted by help_me_rhonda Ohio/SC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 10:28

Hello, All

I am new to this forum, and I was hoping someone could suggest native woodland plants/shrubs/trees for our new garden in Greenville, SC. We are moving there next month from Ohio. I am used to heavy clay soils, very wet springs and very dry towards the end of summer.

Our yard is sloping and wooded, and I'm sure it will be more dry than I am used to. I was reading about love/hate views on planting Lilly of the Valley, and realized I should aim for enriching the natural woodland that is already around the perimeter of my back yard.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

Warm regards,
Rhonda (help-me-Rhonda)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for gardening in SC

I'm sure many SC gardeners will have specific ideas for you, but just last week I was able to visit the beautiful Hatcher Garden in Spartanburg. This is now a 10 acre public wildflower/native tree and shrub garden, but began as the private garden of the Hatchers. You'll find lots of ideas for design, plant possibilities and much inspiration.

o
RE: Suggestions for gardening in SC

I'm in Aiken and moved here from Florida and before that Maryland and I find SC has the best of both worlds - warm summers, tolerable winters, and beautiful springs and falls. Camellias bloom October to April in part sun/shade, crape myrtles are beautiful blooming trees for the summer, azaleas abound, dogwoods do great. Look at woodlanders.com (based here in Aiken but wonderful native unusual plants) and the South Carolina Wildlife Society, particularly Carolina Fence gardens. You'll love SC!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here