Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron leaves are curled turning brown

Posted by oblondeoned none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 11:13

Rhododendron leaves are turning brown and curling, it started in a small part and is now taking over almost the whole the plant, this is was a very large and healthy plant that has been in the same place for years, we did have a very bad winter.. what can it be and what can I do for it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron leaves are curled turning brown

The leaves are currently turning brown and curling or have they been curled since winter? If it's the second, it's damage from winter cold, sun and wind. Only thing you can do is prune back to live (green) wood at a point where you see the swelling of new growth points. The rhododendrons willl regow from there over the summer.

o

Hi mainegrower,

We had a nasty winter. I did not protect my plants in the fall. The ones I thought may be OK from the the winter elements turned out to have a lot of curled, burnt leaves. The buds from the outside are brown some, on one side only.

From your experience, would the buds be affected also and not yield any flowers?

o

Hello laubev2002,

Sad to say, the flower buds probably have been at least damaged. If they are completely dry and brown, there is little likehood of flowers. Some buds in more protected areas of the plant or beneath the snow line may produce some flowers, but likely not a full truss - the outer buds receive most of the damage from cold, leaving at least some of the inner ones to bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here