Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
viscosum azaleas and water

Posted by jimandanne_mi SE MI z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 11:50

I'm confused!

The directions on the "Lemon Drop" and "Pink & Sweet" plants I'm considering buying say, "Plant in moist, well-drained soil." But since the other name for these is "Swamp Azalea", I assume that means I can plant them in an area that sometimes has water in it. I'd like to plant several of these near a small seasonal pond that often almost dries up during a hot dry summer. As the water recedes, ferns grow and cover the area where the water was. Next to this ferny area is an additional area that is wet and sort of mushy in the spring, but not visibly under water. It also will have ferns growing naturally, and is where I'd plant the viscosum azaleas.

This certainly isn't well drained, but they're swamp azaleas! OK, or not??? Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks!
Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: viscosum azaleas and water

Viscusum is the swamp azalea. It grows near water and will withstand seasonal flooding, but not constant water.

Weston's Lemon Drop is part viscosum, but not pure R. viscosum so don't assume it will be as tolerant of moist locations as viscosum.

Pink and Sweet is NOT part viscosum, but is an arborescens hybrid. R. arborescens can withstand some seasonal moisture also.

I would plant both of them on a raised bed so they get good drainage, but not directly in the muck.

o
RE: viscosum azaleas and water

rhodyman, thank you for the info--just what I was looking for!

My main local nursery has them both listed as r. viscosum, so I guess that's why I was confused with the information I'd found when I researched them.

In another article (from Fine Gardening), it says these azaleas "thrive in damp soil in full sun", and then further on says, "Light--full shade only". It's difficult to know what's really correct, with so many sources out there, especially when a supposedly reliable one contradicts itself.

Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here