Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New at planting Azaleas, Affraid

Posted by littlelonelyone Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 12:01

I have never planted Azaleas before and I am affraid I made a huge mistake. I recently purchased and planted 2 Azaleas, they were not in bloom, I got new garden flower and plant soil, dug the holes 2 to 3 inches larger than the root balls, then placed them in the soil covered what the directions that came with them said. But after researching Azaleas online I have found out that I should have loosened the root balls before planting, I did not do that. I planted these two Azalea plants in memory of my late husband, and now I fear that I just killed them, by forgetting to loosen the root balls. I have been crying since seeing I made a mistake. Please, someone tell me if this mistake is as huge as my heart is making it, did I kill my memorial of my late husband??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New at planting Azaleas, Affraid

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 14:12

Littleone, first - my sympathies on your loss. I wish I had the words to gently tell you not to place more importance than necessary on this first attempt to do something in his memory, your true memories will be much more stable than new plants from a garden center - please don't cry over them.

It's early in the season, if recently planted the azaleas would not have begun to establish yet. Most but not all azaleas will come somewhat rootbound in their nursery pots and need to have the roots loosened. Let's assume yours do need it - you still have time to lift them out, score the sides of the rootball in 3 or 4 places with something sharp, replace in the ground, being careful not to plant them deeper in the ground than they were originally growing in their pots. If there seems to be a mass of tight roots at the bottom of the root ball where it had grown to the bottom of the container, loosen that too. Good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions :)

o
RE: New at planting Azaleas, Affraid

Though I did not get the chance to dig them back up and loosen the roots, I am noticing new stems, leaves, new buddings, and they both have a couple flowers opening up. Is this a good sign that they took, even though I hadn't loosened the root balls? My next question then becomes, when should I fertilize and start bug blocking? I noticed with other flowering plants, especially my rose bushes last year, there are these tiny spiders that seem to love making flowering plants thier home. Sorry, about all the questions, but I am really new at this, the flower gardening was always my late=husband's thing, I was alway the herb garden caregiver.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here