Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old and overgrown Rhodies

Posted by SmallFlower none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 12:06

I bought a new house last year and am looking forward to doing some landscaping this year, but I'm wondering about the Rhododendrons in front of my house. They are humongous, about 7 feet tall and one of them is rather scraggly on the bottom. They didn't seem to bloom last year; they're covered with little hard buds and have been ever since we moved here in June. They really don't do anything for the front of the house, but it goes against my grain to discard such venerable old plants. Are they worth saving? Should I maybe try moving them? There's a spot I think would work but it would be shadier than they're used to. Can they be cut down to much, much smaller and less neglected-looking?

I live in Western New York, in Zone 4-5. They are currently on a fully exposed south-facing wall. I'd like to move them to the east side of the house, but its shaded by a windbreak of trees.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old and overgrown Rhodies

You can cut them back to a more managable size in either of two ways. The first is to cut back all at once to a bit below the height you want. They should then regrow from there. They will look pretty bad for a couple of years,. The other option is to cut back 1/3 of the plant for three years. If you look in most books on rhodendrons under "rejuvenative pruning" or something similar, you'll find more detail.

It's also possible to move them even at this size. The root balls will be heavy, but they can be slid onto heavy poly or a tarp and dragged to a new location.

"Success with Rhododendrons and Azaleas" by H. Edward Reily has good information on pruning and moving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here