Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Azalea's

Posted by jpapahall Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 12:21

I have some Azalea's that need transplanting, it's April 14th and I'm in north Florida. Can I transplant now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Azalea's

You can transplant any time you want as long as you do so correctly, site them well, and observe the plants afterward and act quickly if they need temporary shade or a change in watering. If you yank them out and stick them somewhere in blazing sun and forget about them, maybe not.
For me it's more about the care with which it is done than the month of the year we are in.

Have they bloomed yet? If not, do you care of they do or is getting them relocated more important?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 10:58

Their shallow rooting habit makes azaleas reasonably easy to move - best done when the ground is not frozen (and that hardly applies to you:)) or they are not in active growth. The period of active growth is the stage immediately after blooming when the new foliage buds are unfurling and opening. Timing the move before, or even during blooming is OK...Be careful not to plant any deeper than originally growing, and mulch the root zone to conserve moisture, cool the roots.

o

Dear jpapahall Florida,
Spring came early in the Southeast this year and we're experiencing drought. You would, therefore, be wise to wait until late fall/winter to transplant your azaleas. The azaleas will be much better off if they are transplanted while they are fully dormant. That will make things a lot easier on you, too. Less watering will be involved, and the azaleas will have a chance to develop their root systems in their new location while they are dormant. It is a little too late to transplant the azaleas this spring, based on our regional growing conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here