Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea/Rhodo recommendations please!

Posted by momsgarden13 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 12:29

We just moved and I am starting a new garden! I was hoping some of you may be able to recommend some evergreen azaleas/rhodos for my zone and light situation. Part of my bed receives early a.m. sun for a couple of hours in the summer only. Part receives no a.m. sun, but a bit of late day sun, especially in the summer...the hours would be after 2:00 as this bed is next to the front of my house that faces North/Northeast. I would prefer no early bloomers because the last date of for frost is May 5. Love all colors except fushia/reds/orange...love lighter pinks, lavender and whites. Thank you sooooooo much for any suggestions! Stephanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea/Rhodo recommendations please!

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 12:44

Where do you live? Zone designations are a bit ambiguous.
I'm in Zone 8, Seattle. A lot of Texas is Zone 8. We share common cold in the winter. That's it. Soil, water, sun, heat, and lattitude are all different and it makes a difference what plants will be successful.
Mike

o

Oh I'm sorry...I live in Virginia in the Shenandoah mountain area. Fauquier county. Supposedly it's zone 6b...our elevation is around 1500 feet which isn't too high, but we do get snow sometimes when everyone else closer to DC gets freezing rain. Thanks for the help! Stephanie

o

And Mike I wouldn't even go that far (common winter cold)
Avg. Jan. high/lo in Dallas, a typical zn 8 TX locale, is 54F/34F to Seattle's 45/35F. Precip days are 7 for Dallas, 18 for Seattle. Record Jan. high is a whopping 93F! That's close to the yearly record high for Seattle. 2 very dissimilar climates! Dallas has over twice as many sunshine hours too.

o

Hi momsgarden,

Check the ARS list of favorite plants for your area at:

Proven Performers for Virginia and West Virginia.

They list some tender plants. Click on the Plants Descriptions Tabs. These tabs opens up charts that list the hardiness of all of the plants they recommend. For zone 6b I would recommend only considering the ones rated at -10F or colder. Note, that for each variety you can click on "More Information" to see a picture and description of the plant.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here