Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shpnquen

Bare Azaleas

shpnquen
16 years ago

I planted a Girard's Crimson Azalea last year & it looked great all season until January, then it lost all of it's leaves. I see it has a small number of them at the base of the bush, but other than that, it's bare. We've had some wild up & down weather here this winter & spring. It's planted in mainly sandy soil in mostly sun, with afternoon shade from a well established Redbud tree. I've been keeping it totally covered the past 3 weeks because of the sudden freezing temps as a precaution. Was just wondering if I should do anything & just wait, or is there something I can do to help things along. I have lost 3 other azaleas since I moved in here, but I thought it was because of the deer eating them & they were very small & not planted in the best locations. We moved in late fall 4 years ago, so I didn't have time to protect any plantings then. This bush had some nibbling from the deer early on, but it didn't seem to affect the plant & then I put up a cage around it. That helped with the deer, but then it lost it's leaves much later.

I have no pictures (could get if necessary) & this might be a lot of unnecessary info, but then again, maybe not if someone has some help. I love Azaleas, but they seem to elude me. Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County