Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare Azaleas

Posted by shpnquen z5, IN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 07 at 12:42

I planted a Girard's Crimson Azalea last year & it looked great all season until January, then it lost all of it's leaves. I see it has a small number of them at the base of the bush, but other than that, it's bare. We've had some wild up & down weather here this winter & spring. It's planted in mainly sandy soil in mostly sun, with afternoon shade from a well established Redbud tree. I've been keeping it totally covered the past 3 weeks because of the sudden freezing temps as a precaution. Was just wondering if I should do anything & just wait, or is there something I can do to help things along. I have lost 3 other azaleas since I moved in here, but I thought it was because of the deer eating them & they were very small & not planted in the best locations. We moved in late fall 4 years ago, so I didn't have time to protect any plantings then. This bush had some nibbling from the deer early on, but it didn't seem to affect the plant & then I put up a cage around it. That helped with the deer, but then it lost it's leaves much later.

I have no pictures (could get if necessary) & this might be a lot of unnecessary info, but then again, maybe not if someone has some help. I love Azaleas, but they seem to elude me. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare Azaleas

I suspect that it is a semi-evergreen azalea and would be expected to drop last year's leaves. If you are impatient you can do the thumbnail test to see if the inner cambium is green. Otherwise wait another month to see if it leafs out and flowers. Are there still flower buds on it. Usually they are more tender than the plant and are the first to go.

o
RE: Bare Azaleas

I will try that. I think I saw some tiny buds (looked undeveloped so far) on the stems, so you might be right. The plant tag didn't state whether it was any type of evergreen or not. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here