Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Azalea?

Posted by kayam737 Pa (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 12:57

We have an Azalea off of our front porch which my husband and I transplanted 5 years ago when we moved here. It has tripled in size and every May the entire plant is covered in Fire Red blossoms. After this past wicked winter this is what the plant looks like. When I scrape a stem it is green underneath. Can I save this Azalea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Azalea?

Only time will tell.

o

If is is green, it should push out new leaves as the weather warms. The new growth will push the damaged leaves off so you shouldn't have to do anything to it.

Linda

o

My azalea looks the same --- also very harsh winter. I hope it isn't dead. Noticed my neighbor's look the same.

o

Sorry to say I have never seen an azalea with foliage that was so uniformly brown and dry still be alive. I wouldn't hold out much hope. Typically evergreen plants require some remaining green foliage on them to survive - no green equals dead plant.

o

.My encore azaleas were brown and as weather warmed up they put new growth and the flower buds began to turn link and I had some blooms. Basically what I'm saying is to wait. Your in Pennsylvania which means you have a few weeks to wait for an expected bloom and flush of growth. If you find out they're dead just buy some new azaleas they dont cost much

o

How'd your azalea do? did it green up and bounce back?

o
sticky azalea buds

I have a full azalea bush. The buds - although plentiful - have failed to open this year; they are sticky and feel weird. There is some type of growth on the bark of the bush. Some of my other azaleas have white stuff on the bark and have died.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here