Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far back can I cut this Rhodo ?

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 B.C. (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 13:03

I have a Rhodo 'Edwin O. Webber, I've replanted it in a more suitable location, my question is, how far can I cut this Rhodo back, it's pretty scrawny looking. Can I cut back into old wood or not ? I did cut 'Virginia Richards' back quite severely a few years back and it's doing fine now, my 'September Song' resents any pruning so I was wondering about Edwin. Any help will be much appreciated.

A......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far back can I cut this Rhodo ?

Some hybrids might be fussy, but most can be drastically cut back.

o

The rule of thumb is that you can cut about 1/3 of the leaf area off at one time. In actual practice some people cut them back to a stump. It the plant is healthy, it will usually come back in either case. If it is in too much shade, it will come back a little spindly anyway. They need some sun to keep their shape and bloom. Prune immediately after the blooms drop to give it the most time to grow and form next years flower buds.

o

Thanks rhodyman, this Rhodo was in too much shade, I moved it a year ago. It likes this location a lot better, seems healthy and will bloom this year but was thinking of sacrificing the blooms to give it more time to send out new growth. The only thing that is wrong with it is it's really leggy. I'm more concerned with getting a nicely shaped shrub than the flowering aspect at this time.

A......

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 07 at 18:17

If it didn't burn up last summer apparently the change in location isn't bothering it enough to be concerned about cutting it back heavily. However, there is still the matter of the root zone heating up if the whole top is cleared away all at once.

o

Bboy has a good point. That is why a good mulch is important to help keep the root zone cool. I seldom prune, but when I do prune, frequently any new leaves that are left get severely burned since they were adapted to being in the shade. This too will pass ;) If you prune before they bloom, you will avoid this problem, but you will loose the flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here