Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaleeisa

Two questions

jaleeisa
16 years ago

I haven't been around azaleas in more than 15 years, since I moved from SW Louisiana, and those were already well established. So, I've never grown from seed and never tried to plant a bought bush. I now have a home where I can do as I want, and I want azaleas!

First question: My kids bought me an azalea from WalMart (not the best choice, I know, but they're young) for Easter.. I've put in in a semi shade area that has a sand/rich soil mix. I know that these plants have been kept in a sheltered environment, but, that they can survive and thrive with care. So, I've gotten some azalea food and I think I have it settled in a good spot that gets morning and evening sun, but shade in the afternoon. Will feeding it help it? The leaves are still a rich, glossy color, and I knew the blooms it had when the kids got it for me would fade fairly soon. Is there anything else I should do to help it thrive?

Second question: I recently received several cuttings from a GW friend, what would be the best way to root these? The Post Office apparently decided to enjoy them for a while, so they were a little dry, but not completely. The best I could think to do was to get them into some water with a little rooting hormone. What is the best way to try to ensure that I get healthy rooted cuttings to plant?

Thanks for all the help!

Kathy

Comment (1)