Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Leaves on English Rosuem Rodie Has Brown Spots

LindaMA
11 years ago

It almost looks as if some of the leaves have been sprayed with rust on my English Rosuem Rhododendron. Is this a sign that they are dying? Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? This particular bush has a lot of good size buds on it, however, I do have two other rhodies where the buds are very small, as if they are just starting out.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Linda

Comments (8)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

any chance of pictures?

• mainegrower
    11 years ago

There are a number of maladies that can cause this kind of leaf spotting. Rhododendron varieties vary in their susceptability and infection can be worse in some years than others. In general, it's not a serious problem; certainly not an indication of imminent death. There are fungicides that can help, but in general, it's not necessary.

As for the difference in bud size, the big ones are the flower buds. The smaller ones are likely leaf buds, although on some varieties the flower buds are naturally small.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try to take some photographs and post them either later today or first thing tomorrow. As for the small buds, there are usually much larger buds in their place, which begin from the previous year after flowering, but on one particular bush, there are only one or two large buds and a lot of tiny ones. You will see what I mean when I post the photos later.

Thank you for your help, I truly appreciate it.

Linda

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay here are some photos of my rhodies, this one is the English Roseum with the brown spots on a lot of the leaves.

{{gwi:387407}}

This is a view of the same rhodie from a distance, it looks healthier from far away.
    {{gwi:387408}}

This is my nova zembla, where the buds are very small. Shouldn't they be a lot larger?

{{gwi:387409}}

And here's my other English Roseum which also has small buds,except for one, which you can see in this photo. Is this unusual or are the just growing at a slower pace?

{{gwi:387410}}

• mainegrower
    11 years ago

Looks like very typical leaf spotting. A little unsightly, but not a death warrant.

The large pointed buds such as those in the first photo are flower buds. The smaller ones on the Nova Zembla and the other English Roseum are leaf buds. So, no flowers this year on the Nova Zembla and only one truss on the English Roseum II.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you mainegrower. I'm very sad to hear that I will not have any flower on the Nova Zembla or the English Roseum for that matter, would you happen to know the reason why? Last year, both of these shrubs had flowers. This is only the 2nd year for the Nova Zembla, I purchased it last spring. The Roseum was purchased two springs ago. If you know what I can do to make sure they flower next year, can you please let me know? I really appreciate your help.

Linda

• mainegrower
    11 years ago

lindama: It's very common for a rhododendron not to set flower buds the year it's planted out. Growers, for very understandable reasons, want their plants to be loaded with buds as they sit in their pots in the nursery. To do this, they grow them with full sun, misting or automated watering, high doses of fertilizer. Once the plant is out of its pot, it puts most of its energy into growing roots and branches rather than flowers. Long term, this is a plus.

Both English Roseum and Nova Zembla are large growers, so it may take a couple of years for them to begin setting large numbers of buds. If everything else is as it should be - soil, moisture, etc. - the number 1 reason for few flowers is too little sun.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They get plenty of sun so it is probably just as you say, they are settling in and concentrating on their root system right now. Thank you mainegrower, I appreciate your giving me this information.

Linda

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks