Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weak color of azaleas

Posted by bigeasy 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 14:03

I have four different groupings of azaleas but I am most concerned about my Savannah Azaleas. Usually I get three shows a year but no show this spring. The worst problem is the area is part dark green leaves and more than half and increasing are light lime green leaves. I use Miracle Grow often.What can I do to repair the light lime area? What is causing the problem. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weak color of azaleas

The water soluble Miracle Grow is more of a problem than a solution. It is high in nitrogen and being water soluble, it washes away quickly.

I recommend using a good azalea food with organic nitrogen like HollyTone and applying once in the spring around bloom time at half the rate recommended on the package. More is not better.

High nitrogen fertilizers promote leaf growth and not flower production. To improve the leaf color apply epsom salts, magnesium sulfate.

Test the soil and if it is not acidic enough, increase the acidity with powdered sulfur. If your pale leaves have green veins, then it is most likely not acidic enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

o
RE: Weak color of azaleas

Thank you, Tommy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here