Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If the frost did get my azelea bush.....

Posted by donnas Z6 VA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 14:25

I know, stupid question. But, if the frost did get my azelea (or any plant for that matter), does that mean that the azalea plant is dead, or that it just won't do anything this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If the frost did get my azelea bush.....

Get, in what sense. If it killed the flower buds, no. If it killed the leaves as they were emerging, no and it should put out new leaves. If it was severe enough to kill wood, it depends on the extent of the injury. If the last, I would prune back to green wood.

o
RE: If the frost did get my azelea bush.....

About the only way frost kills an azalea is if it causes bark split. Bark split is most commonly caused by an early autumn frost while the sap is still high in the plant, or a late spring frost when the sap has already started to rise. For this reason it is dangerous to feed nitrogen to a rhododendron or azalea that could stimulate growth through to autumn. Don't use nitrogen after mid-June. When the sap freezes, it expands and ruptures the tissue under the bark and splits the bark. For this reason always keep mulch away from the trunk of plants. Bark split damage can be treated with grafting wax to prevent fungal and insect damage. If left untreated, it is fatal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron and Azalea Troubleshooting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here