Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suitability of Tabor

Posted by traynham 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 14:46

I have been planning for some time to install a mass planting of George Tabor in the fall, but now that I read more about the plant, I am concerned that it is not the optimal plant for my site. I am in Zone 7b in Mebane, NC (27302). My planting site lies under the shade of mature hardwoods and receives mostly morning sun because it is blocked by the house on the west. I am willing to water, but my reading implies that this plant needs more sun than I can supply and in fact might not be recommended for Zone 7 after all. I would very much appreciate any responses, positive or negative. If the Tabor is not optimum for this use, I am very willing to consider alternate azaleas with the same general characteristics (color, size, large blossoms and leaves, and suitable for a small mass planting).

Thank you,
Ken Traynham

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suitability of Tabor

Dear traynham 7b,
A mass planting of 'George Lindley Taber' azaleas should be suitable to a partially shaded site in Zone 7b. With a few hours of sunlight, 'George Lindley Taber' should perform well for you. As you probably already know, 'George Lindley Taber' is one of the more cold-tolerant Southern Indian azaleas and is, therefore, generally reliable in Zone 7b. We have a planting of 'George Lindley Taber' and 'Mrs. G. G. Gerbing' azaleas in oue front yard in Zone 8a, formerly Zone 7b. Like 'George Lindley Taber,' 'Mrs. G. G. Gerbing' is a cold-tolerant Southern Indian azalea--a lovely white. The white and light lavender azaleas make a pretty combination. This year, they bloomed beautifully for us in early April. Our planting is in oak shade and receives a few hours of mid-morning sun. From experience, I recommend 'George Lindley Taber' for garden use in Zones 7b and higher.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here