Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Needed - Rhod Leaf problem

Posted by JulieGB none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 14:48

Hi all,
I am a new member, and a relatively new gardener. I've inherited a lot of plants from the previous owner of my house. I need help identifying the leaf problem I have on my rhododendrums. I think it must be a bug of some sort, but dont' see any on the leaves. Is anyone able to identify what is causing the leaf damage shown in the picture here?
thank you!
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Needed - Rhod Leaf problem

Additional photo

o

It looks most like damage from caterpillars. There are many species that notch the leaves in this way. They are often very hard to see or they may have departed at this point. The damage is more unsightly than a threat to the plants' overall health. Several sprays are effective, as is hand picking.

o

Nothing to do at this time. The damage is *very* old.

o

Thank you to both of you who posted above. It is definitely possible this is old damage. I am keeping an eye out for visible bugs, caterpillars and will try to go out at night also with a flash light. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here