Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodies

Posted by tommyd2007 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 15:00

The deer chewed most of the leaves off 3 of 5 of my rhodies this past winter. Are they a lost cause or is there something I can do to promote new leaf growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodies

You will have to wait until you see if new sprouts form. Rhododendrons have adventitious buds, buds under the bark that open when something like this happens. I would bet that if they were healthy they will snap back. They will need protection next winter. I use deer netting to protect my rhododendrons from deer in the winter. Give them until mid to late June to start coming back. Then you can cut back the dead wood.

o
RE: Rhodies

Didn't think I needed the netting based on the last 7 years with no problems. But this past winter when we received 2 1/2' of snow I guess the deer had nothing else to eat. Rhodies were healthy going into winter, so I guess I'll just wait and see.

Thanks for the reply!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here