Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feeding3boys

10+ Year Old Rhododendrons Dying?

feeding3boys
14 years ago

Hello-

I'm looking for some advice and information on some rhododendrons that we have on our property. We purchased this house 2 years ago. There are numerous, huge rhododendrons all over the yard-one is over 7 feet tall. They were planted by the original owners 10 or more years ago.

The next owners of the house did not care for the landscaping at all and basically let it run wild. We've spent the last 2 years tearing out, relocating, pruning, etc.

The large rhododendrons bloomed just fine last year. This spring, every single one of them is half dead. We had a really tough winter here-over 3 feet of snow that lingered for months. The plants have some branches with brown and dead leaves, some with leaves that are curled and turning more brown daily, some leaves that are spotty and others that are totally fine. There are buds, but they are dried out. A neighbor had a similar issue but was able to salvage her plant after cutting back the small portion that had died.

Over 50% of each plant looks terrible and is dry and brown. My question-are these plants salvageable, and if so, what is the best course of action? I hate to lose such large plants. Thanks for your ideas!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County