Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earth Day plantings......

Posted by birdsong72 7/JerseyShore (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 15:34

A good day to garden. Got a lot done and made a trip earlier this morning to Rare Find:

Earth Day purchase & plantings:

Rh. Candense 'True Album'
Rh. Blue Bird
Rh. Jap x Lutem
Rh. Cumberlandse
Rh. Girard's Hotshot varigated

Black earth live again...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earth Day plantings......

Good work! You certainly will be rewarded by more than simply the beauty arising from your efforts for the environment.

I tried to do my part. A friend lost 12 of her Yaupon 'nana' due to our summer and following winter drought. She is not much for taking care of and watering her landscape.

Yaupons are usually very tolerant of drought, but she also had not cut back the nearby dormant hosta, so her yaupons also suffered by getting to much shade from those dormant overgrown hostas this last winter.

Yesterday, I searched all over town and found her nine of the nicest Encore Autumn 'Royalty' azaleas. They are now in their first full bloom and I wanted to pull out her dead yaupons and put down the bed for the azaleas this morning, and then easily plant the azaleas into that circular bed later today during the cool down of the beginning evening hours.

Not to be, the friend and her DH had other plans, so all I did today was take her azaleas out of my vehicle and put them in dappled shade under my mature Scarlet oak tree.

After that the only other thing I did was go to a nursery and purchase about 21 cubic feet (six bags of 3.5 cubic feet each) of compacted dry Sphagnum peat moss for later either creating the bed for those azaleas or for taking to my daughters house in a few weeks to mix with the sand on top of a clay hardpan base soil in her front landscape bed.

Except for watering my landscape (we are still in a drought,) I have not done any thing else for earth Day.

At least earth day is not the only day that we can help "the black earth live again."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here