Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestion

Posted by ego45 6bCT (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 15:36

Looking for somewhat narrow(ish) and upright deciduous azalea to plant between two purple Rh. Boursault.
Their centers are 9-10' apart and I need something to fill in and preferably be taller (at maturity) than those two rhodies, which are not pigmies by itself either.
Another required attribute, it has to bloom either very early, say like mucronulatum, or very late, say September or later.
I was thinking about viscosum, but I've read they would need more than ordinary watering and this will be a problem in that location.
Counting on your wisdom!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestion

Check out the Deciduous Azalea 'My Mary' which are offered by the supplies in your part of the country. This is a Beasley hybridized cultivar award winner.

Last year I receive one which had been shipped in very good condition. It shipped from a Carolina nursery and arrived with two 3' tall main leader branches that had a single bud on each leader top.

In February this spring I planted that azalea at my Daughter's house in Fort Worth, TX. She raved at how pretty she thought the flowers were. This azalea will most likely bloom a week or two later in your area compared to her's which just finished blooming this past week.

There are some suppliers of My Mary 'Rhodendron x My Mary'deciduous azaleas who claim it will grow up to 5 feet in 10 years. Other supplies simply says it will grow up to 8 feet.

In May I plan to take a fasigatia Plum Yew to my daughter and plant it as a nice evergreen backdrop for her decidous azalea.

You will simply need to check out the 'My Mary' distributors in your are to see if you think the forms of this cultivar they sell will enhance your purple blooming azaleas.

A white blooming deciduous azalea in the spot you described might also look very nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here