Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rhododendron being eaten!

Posted by glorysbrite z6PA-Berks (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 15:56

I am shocked! The rhododendron we planted last fall is being eaten! I didn't think anything would eat them. The plant appears healthy but it is being eaten from the top down. I noticed a hole about 2 inches across at the base of the plant & suspect whatever is coming out of there is dining on my plant. We live in the woods. The plant is in the woods at the edge of a field. I can't imagine what is coming out of a hole that size, but it is a new hole.

What do you think it is & how can i get rid of it?
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rhododendron being eaten!

Deer perhaps? Unfortunately, they love azaleas and rhodies. Some rabbits eat them as well. They cause the most damage. I do not have deer in the city but THE solution (to me) seems to be a high fence or planting deer resistant shrubs. Deer can come to nibble when the dogs are inside and repellents have to be reapplied often after rains. But they do work; sometimes. I have read that Olga Mezzitt and PJM are considered resistant in some books but note that is not my opinion as I have nottried growing those.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 20:53

Deer will eat them, rabbits (usually in winter), squirrels will eat the flower buds. They aren't immune to animal damage :)

Here, there is a climbing cutworm that will devour entire leaves, but not leaf mid rib and of course not stems.

o

Hi Glorysbrite.

I also live in Berks county. We are getting lots of holes in the ground but they aren't what is eating the rhododendrons. Our holes are caused by skunks looking for grubs, and voles coming out of the ground. Most of the damage is caused by deer browsing. Deer live at the edge of the forest, so you are in prime deer habitat.

I put in a deer fence last year since the deer had even found a way to push the branches through the deer netting I was getting from Weaver's Hardware near Fleetwood. The netting had worked for several decades, but during the winter of 2009-10 the deer had caused too much. Deer damage is fairly easy to recognize; deer only have lower teeth in front and cannot make a clean bite. They tear the leaves and branches off. They cause the most damage in winter, especially after the first snow.

Having dogs or neighbors with dogs is the best way to keep deer away. I have a website that details other methods to prevent deer damage at:

http://rhodyman.net/rarhodyhode.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here