Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojo777_gw

Sick Rhodie

mojo777
14 years ago

This is a rhododendron I bought about a month ago from Rarefinds Nursery in NJ. Half of its leaves were brown when it arrived, and now it is almost all brown. The brown leaves are brittle. I removed the first brown leaves when it arrived, but obviously didn't get all the fungus or whatever it is.

I tried to email their support link but they never responded. Does anyone know if it can be saved? Is it safe to spray it with a fungicide? From what I've gathered at various rhodo links, you're not supposed to spray one unless it has established a healthy stable root system, and this one looks lucky to have any roots at all.

It's elevated and I'm not spraying any water on its leaves, but we have had rain several times since it arrived.

I'd really like to save this little rhodie so if any experts out there can help, please do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Brown Rhodi

Comments (9)

• mojo777
    Original Author
    14 years ago

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/2194/sickrhodi.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:387909}}

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

That's not a fungal infection, no water is being supplied to the above-ground growth. I don't know if the cause is damaged roots, or if the umbrella shape of that small plant is directing rain/irrigation away from the roots.

What did the rootball look like when it arrived?

You really need to email or call and talk to staff, tell them you have a photo - I think that plant is past saving. Their guarantee - "We guarantee our plants for one growing season after purchase. Please let us know as soon as possible if you experience any problems or have questions. "

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

That doesn't look like fungus damage. It looks like it sat out in the sun after it was delivered in the wrapper and was cooked to death.

You can call Rarefind at: 732-833-0613

• glassr
    14 years ago

Can anyone tell what is wrong with attached plant? Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jean001
    14 years ago

glassr,

Not from that image. Would also need close up views.

But do the whole thing, the post here plus the new one in a thread you start for your problem.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

glassr, agree with Jean, that isn't a close enough image. There are at least three reasons you could lose a branch or an area of a plant, we'd need a better look to help you with which - bark split (cold damage), borer (insect), drought. Not likely sick, as in disease but a better photo would help. Would you add your gardening zone to your member page too...we'd like to know in what type climate you are located for best response.

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

I think we can rule out bark split since that usually occurs near the base and affects a larger part of the plant.

Borer is a possibility, but that should have occurred in the fall, not in the winter. It if is that, there will be a section of hollow stem below the dead part. Just cut off the dead part.

Drought is more like bark split since it tends to kill larger stems that are fed by a single root. It can occur on a single branch if a canker form on that branch.

A very likely possibility now is snow damage. It may have bent and broken the branch. Check to see if it is broken. If so, just cut if off.

Another possibility is that you had deep snow and the brown part was sticking out of the snow and got a bad case of winterburn. If so, let it go and see how it shapes up after the new growth comes out.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons

• mojo777
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rhodyman -- No it didn't sit out it was half brown and dried out when it arrived. But if you're correct about your diagnosis, then they must have wrapped it for shipment and left it sitting out for a few days before shipping it. I unwrapped it and planted it promptly, just like I did with the 20 or so other garden plants I bought online from various vendors. This was the only one to die, except for a flimsy sprig of a clematis from summerstone.

I'm sad that the plant died but am happy to report that Rarefind did finally respond to my emails and sent a replacement. Although they said it was the last one they had, it was twice as big as the original one and much much healthier. There were some rusty spots on some of the leaves

• mojo777
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, hit the send prematurely.

Rarefind did send a nice replacement. There were sprinkles of rust on some of the leaves, but it is nothing like the first plant, which arrived with dried crusty brown leaves all over it.

It has been planted for about a week and seems to be thriving quite nicely.

Thanks for all your input. This is my first rhodi and I think they're great plants.