Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ramapo is almost completely brown...

Posted by melaroma 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 16:37

I planted my Ramapo two years ago and during the first winter it stayed pretty green. This winter was much milder than the last but it was also drier and my ramapo is now brown but still alive. She is getting ready to bloom but has only very few green leaves and looks hideous!

What can I do? Should I prune her after she is done blooming? Will she green up if I leave her alone? I did add some organic fertilizer but it is slow release. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here are some pictures:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ramapo is almost completely brown...

If you had a relatively snowless winter like many, even the hardiest rhododendrons can suffer greatly from windburn. That certainly seems to be the case with this Ramapo. Wait until after it blooms even though it's going to look pretty awful. New green leaf buds should appear shortly after. Increasing fertilizer is likely to do more harm than good.

o

Thanks Mainegrower! It does look like wind burn but it is wierd that my boxwoods didn't get any and they are planted furthure behind so they received even less water. Should I prune off the brown leaves now or wait until the green ones make their appearance? Thank you so much!

o

The brown leaves should fall off on their own - no tedious pruning necessary. If a few do linger, they'll detatch easily without actually having to cut them off. It is something of a mystery as to why the boxwood remained unscathed, larger root system, maybe? Pure luck?

o

Thanks, these are both planted under an overhang and the boxwood being planted towards the back of the bed may have gotten more shelter. It's the only thing that I can think of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here