Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

Looikng for advice on Bow Bells

aggierose
16 years ago

Has anyone grown Bow Bells? How hardy is it? I am looking for a short Rhody that is very shade tolerant. I would also like it to be pink. Is Bow Bells a good candidate? Does anyone know how wide it grows? Thanks!

Comments (5)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

The problem with growing Rhododendrons in shade is that they may fail to set flower buds. They love partial shade, but too much shade will inhibit flowering.

Bow Bells doesn't like a lot of sun. It is shade tolerant but can be leggy in deep shade. It is reasonably hardy (-5F). It is a low plant that will reach 3 ft. in 10 years. It is normally about a wide as high.

I have no idea how it would do in Dallas.

• aggierose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rhodyman,

When I buy my new rhody it will be going in an empty spot right between an azalea and a camellia. The camellia just finished blooming and it did fantastic this year. I just planted it last spring. My azalea is also doing very well. I was hoping this would be a good indicator that there is enough filtered sun (although not much at all) getting through that a rhody would do good too. Is there another small rhody that is pink that is more shade tolerant than bow bells? Also, can I plant the rhody now or do I need to wait until fall?

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

You shouldn't have any problems. Make sure you mulch it to protect the roots. Bow Bells is considered shade tolerant and is low like you want.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Really don't think it will grow there.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Where is there, in Dallas, TX, or between an azalea and a camelia?

I have no idea if it will grow in Dallas, TX, but if it will, an area where azaleas and camelias do well is ideal.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner