Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looikng for advice on Bow Bells

Posted by aggierose Tx-Dallas (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 08 at 16:41

Has anyone grown Bow Bells? How hardy is it? I am looking for a short Rhody that is very shade tolerant. I would also like it to be pink. Is Bow Bells a good candidate? Does anyone know how wide it grows? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looikng for advice on Bow Bells

The problem with growing Rhododendrons in shade is that they may fail to set flower buds. They love partial shade, but too much shade will inhibit flowering.

Bow Bells doesn't like a lot of sun. It is shade tolerant but can be leggy in deep shade. It is reasonably hardy (-5F). It is a low plant that will reach 3 ft. in 10 years. It is normally about a wide as high.

I have no idea how it would do in Dallas.

o

Rhodyman,

When I buy my new rhody it will be going in an empty spot right between an azalea and a camellia. The camellia just finished blooming and it did fantastic this year. I just planted it last spring. My azalea is also doing very well. I was hoping this would be a good indicator that there is enough filtered sun (although not much at all) getting through that a rhody would do good too. Is there another small rhody that is pink that is more shade tolerant than bow bells? Also, can I plant the rhody now or do I need to wait until fall?

o

You shouldn't have any problems. Make sure you mulch it to protect the roots. Bow Bells is considered shade tolerant and is low like you want.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 1:27

Really don't think it will grow there.

o

Where is there, in Dallas, TX, or between an azalea and a camelia?

I have no idea if it will grow in Dallas, TX, but if it will, an area where azaleas and camelias do well is ideal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here