Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ouizer_gw

Light purple or Light lavender azalea

ouizer
14 years ago

Can someone tell me the name of the big azalea that has the light purple or light lavender blooms? The bush is quiet large and the blossoms are large also. I am hoping to find some of these plants this season to plant in my garden. Thanks for any help.

Comments (12)

• rhodyman
    14 years ago

There are thousands of azaleas so a little more detailed description would make guesses possible. Even with a photo it is at best a guess.

Some important considerations are:
    Â Â Â evergreen or deciduous
    Â Â Â time of bloom
    Â Â Â location in the world where growing (climate)
    Â Â Â mode of flowering (single flowers, ball trusses, etc.)
    Â Â Â upright or spreading, etc.
    Â Â Â height and age
    Â Â Â etc.

It is most likely one of the following tall evergreen azaleas:

Â Â Â Seneca or Sherwoodii (Sherwood Orchid)

but could be one of these shorter plants:

Â Â Â Blue Danube, Daphne, Karens, or Purple Splendor

For pictures of a couple of these see the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Society of America

• botann
    14 years ago

I have a large Purple Splendor Azalea in my garden. That's it in the middle of the picture.
    {{gwi:64073}}

• ego45
    14 years ago

Widely available Rhododendron yedoense var. poukhanense aka Poukhanense azalea aka Korean azalea could be as large as 7-8' tall x 12' wide.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Not only is it a common one but 'Purple Splendor' produces blossoms that are large also.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

My guess would be George L Taber. They're all over Alabama.
    Maybe Formosa but that's more magenta purple.

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

I saw some of those Taber's in Tyler TX, bumblebeez. Very nice. They were happy in that location.

• jay_7bsc
    14 years ago

Dear ouizer,
    If the azalea is big, lavender or light purple, and in North Alabama, it may be 'George Lindley Taber' or 'Formosa,' two of the hardier Southern Indian azaleas that are the staples of Gulf and South Atlantic Coast gardens. 'George Lindley Taber' produces large, light lavender blossoms on a sun-loving, large shrub. 'Formosa' produces large magenta, or purple, blossoms on a sun-loving, large shrub. 'Formosa' is the purple azalea the American poet Amy Lowell complained about on a visit to Middleton Place and Magnolia Gardens at Charleston in the early 1900's. They overpowered her senses.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    13 years ago

I know this thread is old, but I have an old azalea that is lavender, I have never seen another one like it though. Mine has been here since the 1940's.

I wouldn't call 'George Tabor' lavender, that's more like light pink (I have one of those too).

Compare the lavender one in the top photo to the George Tabor in the bottom photo.

{{gwi:388239}}

{{gwi:388240}}

• ditas
    13 years ago

Hello Alabamatreehugger - I'm so glad you brought this thread back up, as I'm a first time acquirer of one ... simply because a single opened blossom moved me to pick up this #3 pot full of buds from Lowes! &&&& I know nothing about Azaleas except for sheer admiration when I visit NC in their peak bloom time!!!

I'm here to learn ... saw your posted photo #1 ... the exact portrait of blossoms of this Poukhanense - Compact Korean Azalea blossom! This tag says avg size=5x5'
    My ??? 1) How large is your old shrub? 2) Would she be OK as an underplant of a huge Ginkgo tree for a while? 3) How easy will it be to move her should I have to, in a few years when she outgrows her site?

I'd appreciate input from anyone ... TIA! Â;)

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    13 years ago

Mine is probably nearly 7ft tall, but I don't think it's closely related to the one you bought.

Azaleas thrive under pines and oaks, but I'm really not familiar with ginkgo trees. The problem with moving it later on is that you will need to dig a pretty large rootball, and that could damage the roots to the tree as they are likely to be intermingled after awhile. I usually don't like to dig around tree roots unless I have to.

• ditas
    13 years ago

Hi alabamatreehugger - Thanks for responding! I did some search about this Poukhanense Korean Azalea & also called a couple of nurseries for reassurance. Altho Lowes was taking this shrub back, I decided to go ahead & sink her under my old Ginkgo tree following the advices I recieved on ammending the soil for this acid loving shrub. Hopefully she'll grow to be only 5'x5' mound according to tag and/or shaped to this size, then she won't have to be moved later!

I've learned quite a bit from researching & reading thru some threads here, thank you!) ... Simply because of a single opened Azalea blossom of a shrub, I couldn't help but take home!!!

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6