Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my rhodos? Photo Link

Posted by mayfirst S Van Island (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 07 at 17:25

Hi,
I have two beautiful rhodos blooming now (one is Unique and the other I forget) but both of them have ugly black spots on some, not all, of the flowers. They are established plants and I don't remember ever seeing this problem in the past. I've posted a link below to my two photos- and I think if you click on the photos they will enlarge.
Can anyone identify the problem and provide a solution? Thanks!
http://homeswaps.googlepages.com/plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my rhodos? Photo Link

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 11:56

Mayfirst, that looks like petal blight.

Caused by a fungus, the disease develops during periods of moist weather at flowering time. You'll want to practice good sanitation and remove any spent flowers, litter under your plants. Spraying buds with fungicide (Bayleton recommended) just as they begin to show color but before they open is a good means of control...since you've had petal blight in your garden this season, you might want to consider treating your rhododendrons early next year.

o

Thank you very much. It sounds serious. Is it too late to do anything this year? I would hate to loose these beauties!

o

Hello, mayfirst. Sorry but, no amount of spraying will cure this year's infestation. However, after all of the flowers have dropped, practice the sanitation techniques that morz8 recommended. Then, next year, begin a fungicide application routine just as the buds begin to swell and show a little color. Spray up to bloom time.

Good luck,
Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here