Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I planted my first azaleas and may have screwed up

Posted by sleepyhollow66 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 17:26

I just bought my house last winter and was excited to do some landscaping this spring. I planted 2 Delaware Valley white and 3 Hot Shot azaleas 2 weeks ago. The Delaware Valley are filled with buds (as they were when I bought them) but the leaves are all droopy.

I planted them on a Friday and the following Monday-Weds it rained a total of close to 3 inches. Following that we had a couple day spell of close to 90 temps here in NY. I thought they were thirsty from the heat so made sure to keep them watered starting maybe that Sat or Sunday after the rain. They haven't shown any signs of improvement. Are they lost? Was it overwatering? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I planted my first azaleas and may have screwed up

most likely overwatering.

what is the condition of the area they were planted in? straight into the ground? in a flower bed? raised flower bed? any compost or mulch add? shady area or full sun?

o
RE: I planted my first azaleas and may have screwed up

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 10, 09 at 14:31

Recent transplants will not absorb water fast enough to keep up with the metabolic demands made by foliage in bright sunlight. The water is in the soil, and some of it gets up to the leaves, but not enough to prevent wilting. The solution is to shade the plant from sunlight, temporarily. The shade does not have to be 100% to be effective, just get something up during the sunniest part of the day. The roots will recover eventually, and gain the ability to absorb and transport sufficient water. This might take a week or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here