Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
andromeda

Posted by hope4rain (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 17:35

My poor andromeda barely survived last winter and now it's looking like it's on death's door: brown, very limited new growth. I live in zone 4. I planted it in semi-dry shade. The neighboring leucote is limping along as well. I fed them some rhodo food and am hoping for the best but fear the worst. Any and all help appreciated. Who knew andromedas were so tricky?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: andromeda

I presume you are talking about Pieris japonica which grows for me in Z5, but does not reliably flower. If you meant P. floribuda that should be hardy. Or are you talking about Andromeda glaucophylla?

o
RE: andromeda

Yes, the dying andromeda is the "Japanese" one. I see it in bloom at other nearby homes and wonder what's wrong. It's in a west exposure, heavy shade. I read that it's a good container plant... Do you think I should just give up on the overly shady spot and try again with a container? I am in the Hudson Valley, NY, zone 4-5.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here