Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soemthing that takes less sun than an azalea

Posted by frankie_in_zone_7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 17:38

I am about to give up on a few azaleas that I believe are in too deep shade. Thought they were getting enough sun when trees not leafed out yet but there is shade from some other nearby shrubs. They only throw a couple of blooms, but otherwise look healthy. lot of leaf mold mulch, not gobs of water but watered well when first planted,and they are growing.

I would still like to try some blooming shrub but appear be pushing the limit on shade. Has anyone found good results with Pieris, or hydrangeas or similar in an area that was just a tad too shady for azaleas?

If all fails I will go with more hostas & shady perennials. I already have aucuba!

I could try on shrub forum, but I thought azalea-lovers might have ideas on overlapping requirements.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soemthing that takes less sun than an azalea

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 0:37

Had you thought about sarcococca (sweet box) - what the flowers lack in size they make up for in fragrance. Very shade, drought tolerant. Larger, clethra acuminata but it's going to want summer water. Hydrangea relative Dichroa will bloom in, or at least tolerates less sun than hydrangea, but I'm trying that one for the first time this year and I do have a morning sun site for it.

In this mild maritime climate, I have pieris in full sun with no damage, I have trouble seeing it do well in full shade. Do you provide summer water at all to the area you are talking about? Drought in summer is one reason for reduction of flower buds on azalea. Or, had you thought about removing a few limbs from trees, or opening up shrubs to provide dappled rather than dense shade?

o

Thank you, morz8. I actually have some sarcococca I need to move to less sun because THEY are not doing well. I was planning to try them somewhere else, but you've inspired me to try at least one here.

I think you're right-- the azaleas would like more water. I have others that bloom well with minimal supplemental water, but they've been here for years before I moved in, so perhaps are just so well established, and/or these others have some more root competition or some other factor that I'm not taking into account.

I may conduct an experiment and try both approaches!

o

kerria japonica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here