Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodie Condition...

Posted by hammonds_ns 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 18:19

Was hoping to get some views on this rhodie, I had tried posting / responding in another post but for whatever reason my pics were not working..anyway, I have two rhodies in a bed in the front of the house, they were both purchased and planted there last summer. After the winter, one (Tapestry) seems to have weathered the winter really well and has nice green leaves, the other (a Kabarett)which is situated right across from it in the same bed has developed a lot of brown leaves mainly at the top part of the plant, I assume weather related damage - anything I should or can do to help this guy along?

Kabarett

Kabarett

Tapestry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodie Condition...

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 18:32

Apparently the burned one is tender in your climate or at least on your site. The other needs to be fertilized or the spot is too wet.

o
RE: Rhodie Condition...

The damage appears to be a classic case of winter burn - sun, cold, wind damage. 'Tapestry' was developed by Weston Nurseries in MA so is well adapted to the climate of northeast North America. 'Kabarett' is, I believe, one of the Hachmann hybrids from Germany. These are beautiful plants, but in many cases not quite as well suited for your/our climate. Winter protection from sun and wind would really help.

I can't tell anything definite about wetness or fertilizer needs from the photos, but the mulch appears to be fresh wood chips. Use of this as a mulch can lead to nitrogen deficiency.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here