Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rhodie buds gone

Posted by mudrnner zone 4/5 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 18:24

Last fall my beautiful Nova Zembla had tons of buds on it. I couldn't wait until this spring to see it all in bloom. Now, almost all the buds are gone! It looks like they have been eaten, but they looked this way before any bugs were out. Could it be birds? Or could the horribly cold winter we had have something to do with it. I think there are still 2 viable buds left, but that is it. Any suggestions?

Dyan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rhodie buds gone

Rhododendron buds are frequently irresistable to deer. They can neatly nip off the buds without leaving a trace of any other damage.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 8:30

Squirrels are another real possibility.

o

More likely squirrels than deer where we are, but you never know. I sprinkled some red pepper on the few remaining buds in hopes of detering the little munchers so I can at least still have a couple of blooms. Pretty upsetting seeing as this was the first year I was going to have more than the 3 buds I have had for the last 2 years.. it was pretty well loaded up this time. Oh well, maybe next year.

Thanks

o

Squirrels eat rhododendruns?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 22:17

bekcgarden, yes, squirrels will pick the buds and eat them.

o

Oh no...

We have three, the names escape me. Two bloomed the first year. Last year, lots of leaves, lots of buds, but no blooms. This year, they have what looks like rust in their leaves, and they do not appear healthy. I realized, too late, that they we planted them within the drip line of several black walnuts. And, of course, we have a ton of squirrels.

There is no other spot for them in our yard. :(

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 20:55

Could it be azalea sawfly? Last spring all the buds on my Percy Wiseman Rhododendron were eaten and then some leaves. I saw a little green caterpillar on one stem. I think I used permethrin and the devastation stopped, but it was too late for flowers.

I looked today and the buds are all gone again. There are other rhododendrons on either side of Percy and they're OK.

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here