Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyprincess

Potted pink azalea plant

Anna
18 years ago

Hello. I received a potted pink azalea plant. I'm unfamiliar with plants etc. I was told to fully immerse the pot in water twice a week. What do I do with the green fluffy seaweed looking stuff on top of the soil? Does it serve as a decorative purpose or was it put there by the plant store to protect the soil? Is it supposed to be thrown out? Or is it supposed to remain on top of the soil in the flower pot? Thanks for your help.

Comments (7)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi,

Are you planning to grow this indoors? They are difficult to grow well and flower inside. It is probably hardy and I'd plant it in a partially shaded area in the yard. The green fluffy stuff is probably peat, I dont personally like this stuff, it is used to hold moisture in the soil longer. Sometimes it can hold too much though and kill the plant. I'd plant is outdoors asap, get some Azalea fertilizer and put it in the hole, water well (they do love water) and it will bloom in Spring. They like an acidic soil too. Good luck!

Jen

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

Pandora, was this a florists blooming azalea, or a tagged specimen from a nursery. The florists type will not be hardy in your zone.

The fluff on top of a florists azalea is most likely decorative only....possibly spanish moss?

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Society #5 Florist Azalea

• Anna
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:388589}}

tsjangel, morz8

I thought maybe a picture might prove helpful. The potted azalea was a gift. I couldn't ask the gift giver for information because I don't know the person. It was given to me via a third party who didn't know much about plants either. There was no tag or information included with the plant. I think it may be a florist's blooming azalea. The green fluffy stuff was originally on top of the soil. I removed it after dunking the pot in water and replaced the green peat moss on top. Should I keep the peat or throw it away? It's been a week since I received it and the flowers opened up and bloomed during this time.

Based on the information given in the link, I see that azaleas require lots of tender loving care. Thanks for the link. If necessary, I'll bring it to the local nursery to determine whether or not I can plant it outdoors during the warmer temperatures. If it must stay in the pot because it is not hardy enough, that'll be fine too. It'll be nice to see the flowers bloom year after year. If you have any other ideas or advice, that'll be appreciated too. The pink color is so stunning, I'll do whatever it takes to maintain the plant, keeping in mind that it might not survive despite my best efforts. At least I know that I've tried. :)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

Pandora, that is surely a florists hybrid, and most likely an expensive plant, trained to a standard as it is. They are difficult for me indoors with my heat pump (dry, circulating air), but a similar azalea (grown as a standard, tree-like form) did not survive a mild pacific northwest winter when the florists types normally do here. Recommended is '60 degree temperatures with 40% or higher humidity and long periods of bright indirect light while indoors. Also avoid hot or cold drafts.

Outdoors in summer after danger of frost - part-shade location and keep evenly moist.

The moss on top the soil is for decorative purposes only; I find it attractive (it kind of adds to the topiary effect) but whether you remove and replace it after watering or discard is of course up to you.

Your particular plant is very pretty, but I hope you don't feel pressured to make it survive in your zone - it won't be your fault if it does not...most florists azaleas are grown to be enjoyed more as a long lived bouquet if you don't have access to a climate controlled glasshouse.

My only other suggestion might be to ask again on the Houseplant forum, I know there are a few harsher winter growers keeping azaleas indoors in winter successfully there.

• Anna
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Even if the plant doesn't survive, at least I learned something. Plant maintenance is a lot more complicated than I thought. I was of the "water and go" school of thought before I visited these forums. Thank you for your help, the link, and for directing me to the Houseplant forum. I never would have found it without your help. Thanks again.

• buyorsell888
    18 years ago

Having been a florist for over 23 years it is safe to say that it is a florist Azalea and is very unlikely to survive outside in MA.

Florist Azaleas are often Southern Indica hybrids and are grown for their ease in blooming/growing for potted plant production, not for garden worthyness or long term potential indoors. Although either can be done with effort.

The green stuff is sphagnum moss and is decorative. Toss it or keep it as you prefer.

• Anna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you buyorse too. The pink flowers are now browning and falling out somewhat. What should I do now? Should I throw the plant away? Since it cannot survive outside in MA? I'm sad. It was so beautiful when the flowers bloomed.

I'm also moving to Nevada where it definitely will not survive, much less a move in a hot moving truck over 5-13 days.

Will it ever bloom again? If the plant shouldn't be thrown away, I could always give it to a neighbor who is an avid gardener. She can keep it indoors. Any thoughts anyone?

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets