Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Should I do????

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 18:35

New rhododendron planted last season...looks terrible! What should I do...will it come out of it, put on new leaves...do I need to be spraying with fungicide??? Thank you for your time. :(

Rhododendron photo IMG_0716.jpg

photo IMG_0715.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Should I do????

There are a few brown spots which indicate some leaf spot fungus or other infection, but this is pretty normal and doesn't warrant spraying with a fungicide. The chief damage in the photograph is very likely due to the effects of winter cold, sun and wind. Leaves become dessicated because frozen roots cannot supply enough moisture. Wait a while until you see new swelling leaf buds and prune back to just above them if necessary.

Prevention includes making sure the plant enters winter with enough water, erecting wind/sun barriers such as burlap, spraying with WiltPruf or another brand of anti-dessicant in late fall.

The photo also indicates that the seed pods left over from last year's bloom are still present. Removing these shortly after the flowers have gone by is important - more so for some varieties than others - to insure flower bud set for the following year. It's a somewhat tedious chore, but worth doing if only because the brown remnants do not drop by themselves and look pretty awful.

o
RE: What Should I do????

akamainegrower-
Thank you for all the great info! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here