Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my rhodo doomed?

Posted by enjoy 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 18:40

We had a bad winter this year for snow and when my neighbor ran out of room to pile his up he threw it all on top of my rhodos next to my house. They have never had trouble over winter but as the snow melted away, I noticed that one in particular has lost near to all of its leaves. Buds still look reasonably healthy though. Will the plant come back or is it done? All are struggling. Time for a fence!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my rhodo doomed?

They can be ugly but put an A frame over them in fall. If the buds are healthy it should come back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o
RE: Is my rhodo doomed?

Actually after being winter pruned, they sometimes come back very strong and form a dense growth. However, that dense grow can make it more susceptible to snow load damage. As bullthistle mention, snow load protection may be necessary.

You can let you neighbor know that they aren't allowed to throw their snow on your property and are responsible for any damage this causes. Friendly neighbors are such a blessing. If yours isn't friendly, you may have to get a restraining order forbidding your neighbor from throwing their snow on your property.

Normal snow is much less of a problem. Shoveled snow can be compacted and act much like a huge boulder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here