Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poodlepup_gw

Rhodies and English Walnut Tree incompatibility

poodlepup
16 years ago

I am starting to see a pattern.

I have lived here for almost 20 years. I have a big English Walnut (grafted onto black walnut rootstock)

It's way taller than my 2 story house and it's canopy is probably close to 30' in diameter. There are 6 or seven vertical main trunks each about 18" in diameter.

20 years ago when I moved in I planted all my big healthy rhodies underneath it. I think 6 in all. Over about 15 years, they flourished, then held their ground, than languished, then died. I am beginning to think that their shortened lives had to do with the juglone? or whatever toxic chemical leaches from black walnut roots.

I put my second batch of Rhodies in a couple of years ago. They are beautiful in bloom right now, but I can tell that the are "failing to thrive".

Here's my question.. If I replant them under the walnut tree , but in 1/2 wine barrels, and with fresh Rhodie planting mix from the dirt store. And, if I am careful to keep the walnut leaves off of them when they fall, in Autumn, will my Rhodies be ok? I want to plant Trachleospermum all around the barrels to they are not too visable.

Will it work? It is otherwise a good location, because it stays very cool in the Summers, (almost cool humidity), but they get morning sun.

Kate

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals